Wednesday, November 15, 2006

WHAT IS GOD DOING WITH ISRAEL?

We can always speak of many things that are happening in Israel today, but a question has been on our minds of late as to “What is God doing with Israel?” The focus on events, politics, battles, economies, nations, terrorists, etc., can be received on many web sites. But, what is God doing?

1. GOD IS DECLARING HIS UNIQUE PERSON AND IDENTITY!

The message of Isaiah 44 is given to help Israel and the rest of the world understand what God is doing. In that powerful passage, we are told the following in Isaiah 44:6-8: “Thus saith the LORD (YHWH) the King of Israel, and His Redeemer the LORD (YHWH) of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside Me there is no God. And who, as I, shall call, and shall declare it, and set it in order for Me, since I appointed the ancient people? and the things that are coming and shall come, let them shew unto them. Fear ye not, neither be afraid: have not I told thee from that time, and have DECLARED it? ye are even My witnesses. Is there a God beside Me? yea, there is no God; I know not any.”

It is God who chose the “ancient people (Israel)” and it is God Who reveals the things that are coming - it is God Who DECLARED it - and His message to Israel and the rest of the world is - THERE IS NO GOD BESIDE ME - He is the LORD GOD of ISRAEL, and there is NO OTHER GOD!

2. GOD IS DEMONSTRATING HIS MIGHTY POWER!

Isaiah 43:15 says: “I am the LORD (YHWH), your Holy One, the Creator of Israel, your King.” Isaiah 44:24 adds: “Thus saith the LORD (YHWH), thy Redeemer, and He that formed thee from the womb, I am the LORD (YHWH) that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by Myself.”

Creation demonstrates the mighty power of God (Psalm 19:1) and so does His work in creating Israel. Isaiah 43:1 says “But now saith the LORD (YHWH) that created thee, O Jacob, and He that formed thee, O Israel, Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art Mine.” The word “created” is the Hebrew word “bara” - out of nothing!

3. GOD IS PROVING HIS FAITHFUL PROVIDENCE!

Providence refers to God’s control over circumstances and events that He is working for His glory and praise. Deuteronomy 7:6-9 speaks of how God has chosen Israel to teach two major things about Himself: One, that He is the “faithful God” Who will keep His promises to His people no matter what their performance or failures! And, two, He is a God of love Who will love them no matter how they respond to Him. Isaiah 44:21 says “thou shalt not be forgotten of Me.”

4. GOD IS SHOWING HIS CONTINUAL PROTECTION!

Isaiah 43:1 says “Fear not” and that command is repeated in Isaiah 43:5 and Isaiah 44:2, 8. Throughout the last 27 chapters of Isaiah the LORD GOD reminds the people of Israel of His comfort and protection. He will never leave them or forsake them! Isaiah 51:12 reminds Israel: “I, even I, am He that comforteth you: who are thou, that thou shouldest be afraid of a man that shall die, and of the son of man which shall be made as grass.”

5. GOD IS DOING HIS SOVEREIGN PLEASURE!
In Isaiah 43:21 we learn that God formed the people of Israel to show forth His praise, or as 43:7 says, they were “created…for My glory.” In Isaiah 46:10-11 we read these strong words: “Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all My PLEASURE; Calling a ravenous bird from the east, the man that executeth My counsel from a far country: yea, I have spoken it, I will also bring it to pass; I have purpose it, I will also do it.”

6. GOD IS FULFILLING HIS WONDERFUL PROMISES!

Promises of redemption, restoration, rejoicing, and even the return of the Messiah will all be fulfilled in His time and in His way. Isaiah 45:21 says: ” Tell ye, and bring them near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? who hath told it from that time? have not I the LORD (YHWH)? and there is no God else beside Me; a just God and a Saviour; there in none beside Me.”

7. GOD IS PROCLAIMING HIS WONDERFUL PARDON!

Israel has often been disobedient to God and has forsaken Him, but He has never forsaken them, and He is (Psalm 86:5) “ready to forgive” and “abundant in pardon.” Isaiah 45:22 says: “Look unto Me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.” Isaiah 44:21-22 says: “Remember these, O Jacob and Israel; for thou art My servant: I have formed thee; thou art My servant: O Israel, thou shalt not be forgotten of Me. I have blotted out, as a thick cloud, thy transgressions, and, as a cloud, thy sins: return unto Me; for I have redeemed thee.” Psalm 130:7-8 says: “Let Israel hope in the LORD (YHWH): for with the LORD (YHWH) there is mercy, and with Him is plenteous redemption. And He shall redeem Israel from all his iniquities.”

PRAISE THE LORD FOR WHAT HE IS DOING WITH ISRAEL!

Copyright © 2005 Dr. David Hocking - Hope For Today Ministries

No comments: